"The training of the teacher is something far more than the learning of ideas.
It is a preparation of the spirit." —Maria Montessori

Sunday, November 6, 2011

*Indestructible*Wonder*(((Oh how I miss thee...*Reggio*)))

Ever since I was introduced to the Reggio Emilia Approach to Early Childhood Education, I've been in constant awe and amazement.  I am an avid researcher and learner...simply, I adore* it.  I constantly find myself asking, what is it about this approach that I find so inspiring?  Does it remind me of my childhood?  Is it the indestructible wonder I see in my 2 year old nephews eyes?  It is my love for science, nature and the environment?  My love for philosophy? My love for psychology?   Maybe it's a culmination of all these tiny pieces of matter that lie within me.
                      Vea Vecchi (Atelierista), Me, Carlina Rinaldi (President of Reggio Children)
I was blessed with the opportunity to travel to Reggio Emilia, Italy last summer.  I read these breath taking books before and after my journey:
      
If anyone is SLIGHTLY interested, I would recommend them...They are a VAST amount of knowledge and believe me when I say, they will change* you :)  I don't mean to sound cliche when I say this, but there is something about the way the Italian people speak.  They are so passionate and they speak poetically...metaphorically.  Reggio is all about metaphors...metaphors are universal and they connect us.  When I would listen to Vea Vecchi (Atelierista) and Carlina Rinaldi (President of Reggio Children) I would catch myself smiling in utter amazement.  And guess what?  I was listening to their translator (they spoke in Italian and had a translator with them at all times)...and even then, the translators interpretation was still beautiful (and the translator so modestly and humbly insisted she did Vea and Carlina no justice).

So, I write this blog with a sense of nostalgia...especially reflecting on the journey of *Becoming an Art Teacher* in American culture...studying the DBAE (Discipline Based Art Education).  The Reggio Approach and DBAE are like a rubber band being pulled...a tension of opposites...

The other day, I was reminded of an essay in the book, The One Hundred Languages of Children.  There is an essay about the importance of the use of light and projection in Reggio schools.  The essay observes that many adults go through their day, not noticing or experiencing the light, shadow, transparency, translucence around them, and how it transforms and changes places and objects. It states that this is quite a shame to be missing out on such an important element that is vital to our lives.  Do you take the time to notice these every day ~*indestructible*wonders*~?


 Today I read a quote: ...it made me smile :) 
"Those who can, do.
Those who can do more, teach."

3 comments: